Apple could be preparing to roll out the next version of its operating system any moment from now, this is because it has started releasing the GM (Golden Master) version of iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5 alongside WatchOS 6.2.5 and tvOS 13.4.5 to developers.
*A Golden Master refers to the final version of a software, and it is usually a strong indicator that a software is ready for release into the market. *
So what’s new in iOS 13.5? The update introduces Apple and Google’s new exposure notification API for Covid-19 contract tracing as well as the ability to share your Medical ID with first responders when placing an emergency call.
Another related update includes a tweak to Face ID which makes it easier to unlock your device when wearing a mask. The update enables Face ID to skip to the password screen if it detects that you’re wearing a mask. In addition, iOS 13.5 also includes changes to the Group FaceTime calls, a new option for sharing Apple music on IG and Facebook stories, system bug fixes, and other improvements.
iOS 13.5 GM Seed Release Notes:
“iOS 13.5 speeds up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask and introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities. This update also introduces an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls and includes bug fixes and other improvements.
Face ID and Passcode
- Simplified unlock process for devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask
- Passcode field automatically presented after swiping up from the bottom of the Lock screen when you are wearing a face mask
- Also works when authenticating with the App Store, Apple Books, Apple Pay, iTunes, and other apps that support signing in with Face ID
- Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities
- Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks
- Option to automatically share health and other essential information from your Medical ID with emergency services when you place an emergency call (US only)
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
- Fixes an issue where users may see a black screen when trying to play streaming video from some websites
- Addresses an issue in the share sheet where suggestions and actions may not load