Using a phone requires a sim card, and a sim card holds vital information which includes your security data, billing information and more. Most people have their phones password protected, password protection on your phone does not also protect your sim. This is why you need a pin lock for your Sim, and we, are going to walk you through the process of locking your sim with a Pin to prevent anyone from using your sim or accessing crucial data on it, especially if it gets stolen or lost.
Now, below are ways to set up your sim card with a password lock.
Setting up Password Lock on a Sim card
- Go to Settings
- Open the more tab
- Click on Security
- Tap set up Sim card Lock
- Click on Lock Sim Card and enter the default sim pin
- Click ok.
For iPhone Users…
- Tap Settings->Mobile Data
- By default, the PIN is disabled. To enable that, tap the position of the switch titled SIM PIN to the right.
- Here, you will see a message like “Enter PIN to lock SIM, 3 attempts remaining”. If you are creating a PIN for the first time on your device, then you need to enter the default PIN for your SIM card. (You need to contact your mobile carrier to get that PIN)
- Next, enter the default PIN and tap done button on the top right of the page. If you had entered the right PIN, the switch will be shown in Green color with its position toggled to the right.
Or you could create a new pin with this steps
- Tap Change PIN located just below the PIN switch.
- Input your Current PIN and tap done.
- Then, enter your New PIN and tap done.
- Next, enter your New PIN once again for confirmation and tap done button.
N.B – Before you go ahead to lock your sim, you need to have your PUK (Personal Unblock Key) and other information about your sim card – this is because it might be required when trying to do a password reset, and in case your sim gets blocked after getting an incorrect PIN notification three times, your PUK would be needed to easily unblock it.
If however you don’t have your PUK, we advise you contact your network carrier/provider, visit a service center, or download MyMTNApp from Play Store and you’ll get your PUK Pin as quickly as possible.
We also recommend changing your default PIN to a PIN that would be really easy to remember.